Happy New Year!
I have so much I want to tell you about what I knit, cooked and baked over the holidays, I am having a hard time knowing where to begin. I think I’ll have to come back to holiday recipes later. For now, I’ll tell you about last weekend.
Chris and Steve took over our living room on Sunday to work on their 52 song project. I loved having live musical entertainment in my very small apartment, and in no way minded being relegated to the kitchen. I decided, while I was there, to make some Banana Bread. We rarely have bananas in our home because of my efforts to eat locally. However, since bananas as we know them are in danger of extinction, it’s nice to indulge every now and then, while we still can!
Speaking of 52 song project, I wanted to let you know that the first song has been posted! Also, I’ve been “hired” as the illustrator for the entire project. I’m taking this, my first illustration gig, very seriously and am really excited to have an excuse to produce something creative every week.
adapted from Bittman’s iphone app
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup apple sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease bread loaf pan with butter
2. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder, sugar
3. Cream butter then beat in eggs and bananas
4. Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients – just combined
5. Gently stir vanilla, coconut and chocolate then apple sauce
6. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.